Nice to see you!

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Neighbors



You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have the facts of life.....

Truer words have never been spoken.

Horrible incident in my home Tuesday night. I get home, I let my dogs into the backyard, go into my room to change my clothes. I hear screaming. (No, not from somebody viewing me changing my clothes, thank you very much.) I run out into the backyard and hear my neighbor screaming "No, oh God stop, leave her alone." The "her" in question was my chihuahua. What she was yelling at were her two German Shepards who were trying to tear my dog in half. (From what I was able to learn later, the Shepards had broken a board on the fence and when Izzy stuck her head through, they grabbed her and dragged her in.)

There is no greater feeling of impotence than standing on one side of a fence while your dog is being torn apart on the other side. Thankfully, my neighbor got to her dogs quickly and my dog came back through the hole in the fence while I was banging on the womans front door screaming at her to give me my dog. I finally located Izzy under my bed and was forced to make the decision to reach in and grab her, knowing that it was about the stupidest thing I could do. Having said that, I did it anyways and was rewarded by her fangs going through my hand between my thumb and forefinger. I dragged her out, switched my grip and was promptly rewarded by having her try to tear a finger off of my other hand. I got her to the sink to start to wash her off so I could see how bad it was. Believe me when I say that is difficult to do with dog fangs buried to the bone in one of your hands.














God bless my vet who drove in from 30 miles away, after hours, with two staff members to come take care of her. Amazingly, although she had a dozen bites in her throat, chest, stomach and genitals, none had punctured into her rib cage or abdominal cavity. They did manage to pull on her so hard that they seperated the skin and muscles in her chest, causing an extremely painful air bubble and extensive bruising. After clean up, pain shots and antibiotics she was on her way home. And I was on my way to the doctor.















Anthonys sister had actually dropped everything and driven over to help me as I was both a basket case and wounded. She drove me to the doctor where they cleaned my wounds, bandaged me up and gave me 100 pills that I have to take within the next 10 days. I wish I was exaggerating, but it really is 100 pills. Every 6hrs. Apparently dog mouths are dirty. Imagine that. (I've personally seen them dine from the cat box, so this came as no surprise to me.)





On the plus side, I'll have a really cool scar and can tell people that a Chihuahua tried to rip my finger off.

On the good neighbor side, my other next door guy, Steve, came over and fixed my fence and the only payment he took was a bucket of green beans and some tomatoes. Of course, this was after he chewed me out for not coming to get him when all of this was happening. I'll take it. Steve's a good neighbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment